Metrolinx launches PRESTO digital card in Google Wallet
Metrolinx has launched PRESTO in Google Wallet, a digital version of PRESTO card that can be used on an Android smartphone or Wear OS smartwatch. With the Google Wallet, the PRESTO card costs $0 instead of $4 for the physical card.
Once the passengers have saved PRESTO in Google Wallet, they can tap on a PRESTO device to pay fare on GO Transit, UP Express, Brampton Transit, Burlington Transit, Durham Region Transit, Hamilton Street Railway, MiWay, Oakville Transit, TTC and York Region Transit in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA).
PRESTO in Google Wallet offers customers new features, including:
- Fare convenience - pay transit fare with a PRESTO card on Android smartphone or Wear OS smartwatch.
- Instant changes - use PRESTO App to make changes instantly, including loading funds to PRESTO in Google Wallet from anywhere.
- Fare discounts - convert physical PRESTO card to PRESTO in Google Wallet with fare discounts for youth, post-secondary students and seniors.
- Multiple fare types – set multiple fare types for more than one discount (for example, a passenger may be eligible for a universal senior discount and also a transit-agency specific discount).
- Transaction history - access up to three months of transaction history in the PRESTO App.
Metrolinx is working to add support for other mobile wallet platforms in the future. Earlier this year, Metrolinx expanded the option to tap credit and debit cards, including cards on smartphone and smartwatch, to pay the adult fare on all PRESTO participating transit agencies throughout the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area, including the TTC.